Monday, November 19, 2012

Back to the 90's

You may, or may not know what I'm talking about.  The oversized denim jackets covered with patches and DIY'd within an inch of existence, ripped jeans, grunge, plaid flannel, high waisted pants -- the list goes on... Lately I've noticed people returning to a 90's style aesthetic.  It's true, we live in a world that is aesthetically characterized by a nostalgia for things that happened 10+ years ago.  And with that nostalgia comes intermittent revivals in terms of what people find aesthetically pleasing.  Maybe I'm just homing in on the amazing wardrobe that I saw in Stephen Chbosky's movie adaptation of The Perks of Being a Wallflower, but I keep seeing 90's references popping up all over the place.  I can't complain about the whole 90's style comeback.  I was a kid who thought that life would look like it did for the girls in The Babysitter's club when I grew up.



What's fun about trend revival is that it always comes with a new twist, and (I'd like to think) that we only bring back the best trends, leaving the more hideous parts of the aesthetic in the past.

Alien shorts anyone?
Rookie publishes tons of photography by photographers who are skilled at tapping into the aesthetic of a different time and making it weird and wonderful all at once...

3ericajuly2012
Drugstore Cowgirl, by Erica and Chelsea Peacock 
dump11
Tear It Up, Rip It Up, Kick It Up, by Lauren Poor
And of course, you can't reference the 90's without mentioning your complete and total adoration for 
Lisa Frank..

.

No comments:

Post a Comment